Thursday, October 14, 2010

Week7 -video Review

1)    For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

Prairie – I actually learned about the creation of this style of house, how everything relates to horizontal lines, how the house is part of the environment. It was pretty cool.

Science of Design – I learned how to make concrete, always a plus for an art class.

 Classical Architecture – This video I didn’t really learn to make anything, but I did learn how the Classical styles influenced other countries.
2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
The first video most definitely relates to the text because Frank Lloyd Wright’s style and designs of the Prairie House reflect the single most influential changes in architecture in almost 300 years. He was a pioneer.
The second video relates to the text because the text describes for us how different architectural styles used different building materials. Concrete was a new material as was Portland cement. The massive strength resistance that concrete has, allowed for a large diversity of shapes and spans of buildings to be created.
The 3rd video is of importance because it talks about bringing classical styles to England. It also talks the Arch, the Vault etc. This is discussed in pretty good depth in the book.
3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of Architecture? I think the films for this section were excellent. I think SEEING the construction processes and actually “walking” through architecture gave me a much needed understanding of what I was reading.
4. From the group of four that you had a choice: Why did you choose that film? It was first on the list and I liked the title...

No comments:

Post a Comment