Monday, November 1, 2010

Week 9 Hands




1.    What was it like using your hand as subject matter for a drawing?
I thought it was interesting because they are things we see every day. It is amazing to me that the amount of detail we each find in our own hands, is directly related to what we notice every day, rather than what we see.
2.    What media did you select - pencil or charcoal? Why?
 I elected to use pencil. I figured it would give cleaner lines than would charcoal.
3.    How did it feel to create a drawing with your non-dominant hand?
It felt awkward at best. I already knew that graphic representation was not a strong point for me, but when I used the opposite hand, it totally solidified my judgment, that I will never be an artist.
4.    Compare and contrast your final drawings. Do you think they are successful studies?
I think they were successful studies in that regardless of which hand held the media, my mind forced my hand to represent what it saw. Although I couldn’t crisply reimage what my mind saw.
5.    Would you consider using your non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future?
 My immediate answer would be no, but that is based on jus this task. Perhaps something with less motor control needed would yield a different result. Maybe painting I would see that my recessive hand was in fact my dominant hand for that task..

No comments:

Post a Comment